Thursday, April 15, 2010

Processor upgrade question...

I curently have a e6600 at stock speeds but I cannot overclock it due to having a dell 590 sli board. So, I was thinking that upgrading to a e8400 @ 3.0 ghz would be a pretty good improvement and would compliment my gtx 260 core 216. Any opinions any other choices I should make?Processor upgrade question...
If your board (or your wallet) can't swing a high end quad core, then I'd say that's a pretty good idea. You should see a pretty decent boost in performance.Processor upgrade question...
i want to do the same exact thing, for the same exact graphics card, but apparantly my mobo is pretty much maxed out with the processor, with only an e6700 as a step up. I can overclock, but id rather not. Oh well, 1 more year and ill do a whole new build.
[QUOTE=''ankor77'']i want to do the same exact thing, for the same exact graphics card, but apparantly my mobo is pretty much maxed out with the processor, with only an e6700 as a step up. I can overclock, but id rather not. Oh well, 1 more year and ill do a whole new build.[/QUOTE]

Yea do not upgrade to a e6700 thats a waste for you....... however I have a Asus P5E3 up for sale to anyone interested, for $100
I'd gladly buy that mobo from you if I didn't have a BTX case.
it would be an improvement but it wouldn't call it worth the $$$ and you need to make sure your board supports 1333mzh fsb or the e8xxx wont work or q9xxx.
[QUOTE=''BlazinBill557'']I curently have a e6600 at stock speeds but I cannot overclock it due to having a dell 590 sli board. So, I was thinking that upgrading to a e8400 @ 3.0 ghz would be a pretty good improvement and would compliment my gtx 260 core 216. Any opinions any other choices I should make?[/QUOTE]What about a quad core?
[QUOTE=''BlazinBill557'']I'd gladly buy that mobo from you if I didn't have a BTX case.[/QUOTE]

What case do you have, b/c i have a thermaltake armor and it says its btx and it works..... i'll be happy to throw in a thermal take shark case for 25 dollars look it up it, pretty nice case.
Yeah I guess my mobo only supports a 1064 FSB so I guess that e8400 wouldnt work any ways.
[QUOTE=''teddyrob''][QUOTE=''BlazinBill557'']I curently have a e6600 at stock speeds but I cannot overclock it due to having a dell 590 sli board. So, I was thinking that upgrading to a e8400 @ 3.0 ghz would be a pretty good improvement and would compliment my gtx 260 core 216. Any opinions any other choices I should make?[/QUOTE]What about a quad core?[/QUOTE]



Realistically quad cores are no longer useful for gaming. Outdated at best....and I would recommend nothing less than a dual socket solution for any serious gamer. Clearly.
Before you write off your mainboard for over clocking check to see if your processor supports BSEL mods. I applied a bsel mod to my Q6600 on my un-over clockable Dell XPS 420. The processor now runs at 3.0GHz.
E7300 and a new mobo.
I would like to get a new mobo but my form factor is BTX only as I know of, there arent any good BTX mobos out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment